X

www.blaven.com uses cookies to make this website better. Read more about this on the privacy policy page.

Random photograph of Blaven
Welcome to

Then and Now

This page compares the scene shown on an old postcard with how that scene looks today.

With carefull planning and study of the original postcard I have attempted to take the present day photograph from exactly the same location, using the same lens focal length and in similar lighting conditions; a technique popularly known as rephotography.

Torrin Public School, then and now.

Click to view.
Broadford Hotel, then and now.

Click to view.
Blaven from Torrin, then and now.

Click to view.
Broadford Old Church and Blaven, then and now.

Click to view.
Torrin Barns, then and now.

Click to view.

Torrin Public School

Toggle cycling of images      Shown then image Overlay images with current opacity Show the now image      Reduce opacity 50% Increase opacity      Toggle black and white      Toggle captions button

The then postcard carries the reference "Skye 27" and was published by Raphael Tuck & Sons Ltd. A full stop is missing from the caption after the word loch. The location is of course Loch Slapin, Torrin, Isle of Skye.

The original photograph can be dated within the 14 years between 1937 and 1952. The iconic white cottage visible on the far side of the loch was built in 1937 whilst electricity and the associated pole route arrived in 1952.

The now photograph was taken 60 or more years later in November 2011.

Architect Alexander Ross (1834-1925) designed Torrin Public School which opened around 1875 at the northern end of the village by Loch Slapin. Like many schools of the period on Skye it was built in close proximity to the shore allowing building materials to be brought in by sea in deference to the island's primitive roads . In the 1920s the school had around 20 children on the register. Later during the World War II it was used by the Royal Marine Commandos as a training base, returning to use as a school after the war. After the war it resumed use as a school until it closure in 1961. The building is now used by The Highland Council as an outdoor activity centre and community centre.

Notice that the single chimney at the front of the building has been removed. Also that the outbuilding to the rear, possibly toilets, has been demolished. The toilets in the modern building are located in the flat-roofed extension that is just visible behind the telegraph pole.

Home | Top